The light housing is approx 30 years old. Due to the years of weathering the part has seen better days so it was decided to 3d scan the part and re-produce it. The part turned out to be more complex than was anticipated as the surfaces run in 3 different directions. Once we had scanned it we decided to model it using 2 different CAD systems, we sent it our friends at Eng-IT to model it in Spaceclaim & we also modelled the part in powersurfacing RE.
There was no difference between the quality of both models. The CAD image is taken from Spaceclaim. The next stage is for the model to be printed on our Stratasys Mojo 3D Printer.
Many thanks to Chris Dukes & his Team at Eng-IT for there participation in this exercise.